Support for internet users
to become safe and secure from cybercrime
'If it's out of the blue
it's not for you!'
or, 'If it's out of the blue
don't click through!'
Suspicious phone call? Quiz the caller!
Ask, "What is my full name?", and, "My postcode?"
also if your bank(!), "My last transaction?"
before you decide it could be genuine.
Six cyber-safety suggestions
- Email-1: Check the email address of the sender
click/tap on it, is it OK?
- Email-2: If you didn't ask for it, don't take immediate action, think about it!
- Security: use a different password for every website, easy to remember but long (see Password guidance below).
- Social media: don't allow Facebook to access your contacts, nor WhatsApp, also owned by Facebook.
Facebook has had many data breaches! The privacy-focussed Signal app can replace WhatsApp.
- Privacy: Google profiles its users, so every search and Google email is used to profile you for adverts.
Use a privacy-focussed search engine - Apple and others endorse the use of search engine DuckDuckGo.com.
Also: avoid using the Google Chrome browser - Safari or Firefox don't track and profile you.
- Telephone: your bank/HMRC/Microsoft/etc will never ring you requesting information or action.
Useful web links and documents
keeping your money safe
Privacy on the internet
keeping your identity safe
Email scam check
essential email safety guide
Email safe practice
email safety, guidance and management
Using the email Bcc box
what to write to those who don't use it!
help in creating passwords
safe to download files and shortcuts
Silver Surfer - IE1
course details for Internet Essentials - 1
Silver Surfer - IE2
course details for Internet Essentials - 2
Telegraph article: online security
a reader's questions and answers (from 2015!)
ageUK: internet security booklet (pdf)
a self-help guide
ageUK: internet security
and how to avoid a variety of scams
MoneySavingExpert: 25+ ways to stop scams
very helpful advice
Gibson Research: How big is your haystack?
is your password good enough?!
learnmyway: courses for going online
making online learning easy
getsafeonline: online safety advice
from a business-backed resource
Apple guides: iPadOS 17 overview